Thinking of a Celebrant-led Wedding Ceremony?
What is a Wedding Celebrant? If you’re considering a celebrant-led ceremony for your special celebrations, you might be wondering what a celebrant’s role is. Here’s some more information to explain more about what a Celebrant can offer you for your special day.
What is a celebrant?
A celebrant is specially trained to create and perform customised ceremonies that perfectly reflect the unique personalities and preferences of their clients. Unlike a registrar or other wedding officiant, celebrants have none of the restrictions that a Local Authority Registrar has. This offers the opportunity to create truly bespoke celebrations that truly capture the style and spirit of the families that we work with.
Celebrants officiate a non-legally binding ceremony. That means although a celebrant ceremony is unique and beautiful, it is not legally binding. In order to legalise their marriage, a couple must visit their local registry office and register their marriage. Many couples choose to arrange this prior to their dream ceremony. With their marriage recognised legally, they are free to hold a bespoke event that reflects their unique personal style. Remember you don’t even have to exchange your vows or your rings at the legal registration. Just take along two witnesses – and job done!
A wedding ceremony performed by a registrar must take place in a venue licensed for marriage, and using specified contractual wording to legalise the union. What is not so commonly known in this country – is that ONLY the “Declaratory Words”, and the “Contracting Words” have to be said in a Registry Office or licensed venue, in order for your marriage to be recognised in Law, and for a marriage certificate to be issued.
The Declaratory Words you have to legally say are – “I do solemnly declare that I know not of any lawful impediment why I (your name) may not be joined in matrimony to (partner’s name)”. The Contracting words you legally have to say are “I call up these persons here present to witness that I (your name) do take thee (partner’s name) to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband)”. So those 41 words (plus your names) are the only legal requirements for marriage!
Benefits of a Celebrant
What are the benefits of using a Celebrant?
- Personal – A celebrant will work with a couple to create a ceremony which is unique to them and their love. No two ceremonies are the same, just as no two couples are the same.
- Flexible – A celebrant ceremony can freely incorporate different aspects of religion, symbolism, or cultural tradition if desired.
- Unrestricted – A celebrant ceremony can take place anywhere indoors or outdoors. This is regardless of whether or not the venue holds a marriage licence.
A wedding ceremony performed by a registrar must take place in a venue licensed for marriage, But a celebrant ceremony is different – we don’t have those restrictions. So a celebrant-led ceremony can take place outdoors or indoors, in a formal venue or at a more unconventional location. As always, it will always be truly tailored to the couple’s tastes and preferences. No matter where you choose to tie the knot, I am here to help make your wedding day truly special and unforgettable.
Why choose a Celebrant?
Who might prefer to use a Celebrant?
- Memorable – Any couple wishing to celebrate their commitment in a way which is more unique and personal to them.
- Symbolic – Any couple wishing to include a symbolic ceremony such as a Handfasting, a Sand Ceremony, a Dove Release, or any other symbolic, religious, or cultural tradition which is meaningful to them.
- Beautiful – Any couple wishing to marry in an area of a venue which is currently not licensed for legal marriage.
It is my job to work closely with couples to create a unique ceremony that reflects the love and the special bond they share. I am committed to creating a one-off ceremony that perfectly captures your unique love story. I bring years of experience as a celebrant which means I can create the perfect ceremony that reflects your unique style and personality.
A more traditional or modern approach, a small or large event, or something entirely out of the ordinary – I make the day all about your wishes. So whatever your dream is, I can help turn it into reality. Make your wedding ceremony one that you and your family will never forget. Get in touch – Let’s start planning today!